Make a Difference Today
We invite you to help make a difference in the lives of our patients and families by becoming a volunteer at University of Minnesota Medical Center and University of Minnesota Masonic Children's Hospital. Volunteers must be at least 18 years old and out of high school. If you have any questions about volunteering, call Volunteer Services at 612-273-6565.
Are you a Good Fit?
We are seeking volunteers who fit the following criteria:
- You are reliable, since our patients, families and staff count on you to be here when you are scheduled.
- Many of our roles function fairly independently. Volunteers who are the most successful are the ones who take initiative and are proactive.
- You have a professional and positive attitude.
- The patients and families we serve are likely feeling stressed and overwhelmed. The empathy and compassion you provide make a difference in their experience.
- Each task or interaction, no matter how big or small, can positively impact someone’s experience. Volunteers with a service-oriented mindset can help make a positive impact.
Every prospective volunteer must complete the following application process:
- Read the instructions and complete the online application form.
- Provide two personal references from people who are not related to you.
- Complete new volunteer online orientation and training.
- Complete a health assessment with Employee Occupational Health Services.
- Attend an interview and information session with a volunteer coordinator.
- Pass a criminal background check, including fingerprinting, as currently mandated by the State of Minnesota Department of Human Services. This may include traveling to an off-site location for fingerprinting.
Volunteers commit to a consistent weekly 3 or 4-hour shift for a 100-hour minimum commitment. Summer-only volunteers commit to 75 hours during June, July and August.