Into the whirl of life upturned by your child’s illness comes the calming presence of social workers and care coordinators. At University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s Hospital, we provide expert, caring social work and care management for your child—and for you, your family and caregivers.
Social workers and care coordinators use a wide network of contacts to address the challenges that patients and families face. They help secure access to healthcare and other human services. The social workers and care management staff, like a bridge, makes connections between the hospital setting and a patient’s family life, home and community.
Social workers can:
• Help solve problems, support and communicate your thoughts about your child’s care plan.
• Assist your child in adjusting to illnesses and treatments.
• Provide counseling to your child, you and your family when you are experiencing emotional concerns.
• Teach your child and you relaxation techniques, communication and coping skills.
• Facilitate educational and support groups for everyone: your child, you, your family and caregivers .
• Coordinate referrals to hospital and community-based resources.
Please call 612-273-3366 or ask your doctor or nurse to help connect you with social workers and care managers.