Your first visit to our center will take place in our Blood and Marrow Transplant (BMT) Clinic. You will be meeting with one of our BMT doctors and your nurse coordinator. The goal of your evaluation is to decide if BMT would be a safe and effective treatment for you. We will:
- Check for problems that might occur during or after your transplant.
- Gather medical information.
- Review and adjust your diet and treatment so that you will be in the best possible condition for a transplant.
- Teach you more about BMT, such as before- and after-care and what to expect while waiting for a transplant.
- Allow you to meet the transplant team.
- Discuss your transplant options.
During your initial visit, you will also meet with a social worker. Your social worker will provide you with a patient's guide to blood and marrow transplantation and other information about our BMT program.
The social worker will also:
- Answer any questions you have following your meeting with the doctor about the BMT process.
- Provide you with resources to help you prepare for your transplant experience.
- Help you understand the logistics of coming back for your transplant.