A natural choice for many and a partner in your birth process
Many women choose midwives because they enjoy building a strong relationship with their caregiver. Other women appreciate midwives' natural approach to prenatal care, labor and birth.
Reaffirming that pregnancy and birth are normal life processes, midwives tailor their care to the needs of each patient. Preferring to minimize technological interventions, our team stresses the importance of prenatal education, counseling and continuous hands-on care during labor, birth and postpartum care.
In addition to offering labor support, our certified nurse-midwives are qualified to order pain medication and perform medical procedures.
Benefits of choosing a midwife with University of Minnesota Health for your pregnancy include:
- A personalized, holistic approach to care from your first prenatal visit with a midwife.
- Access to our midwives, on-call at all times should any questions or concerns arise.
- Low cesarean (c-section) rates - 12.4 percent primary c-section rate.
- High success rates, 87.5 percent, of Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBACs).
- Expertise in medication-free labor support tools including; upright mobility support, intermittent fetal monitoring, labor slings, rebozzo, hydrotherapy, and waterbirth.
- Access to pain medication in labor including nitrous oxide and epidurals.
- Certified nurse-midwives trained to recognize and manage complications early. Should birth become complicated, the University of Minnesota Medical Center offers immediate support of OB/GYN, anesthesia and NICU teams in the hospital 24/7. You can depend on our exceptional collaborative care model built on evidence, communication, and trust.