In 2000, Dr. Cohn, with support from the Rasmussen family and the Northeast State Bank Foundation, created a program to identify cardiovascular disease in its earliest stages before symptoms occur. Cardiovascular disease can progress silently for many years until it is in the advanced stages and a life-altering event occurs, such as a heart attack, stroke, kidney failure, poor leg circulation or even death. Unhealthy habits and common risk factors don’t always detect if early disease will be likely to progress.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING A VISITThe Rasmussen Center provides a complete cardiovascular health assessment, which lasts two hours. A nurse practitioner provides a physical exam and discusses your medical history and healthy living habits, including nutrition, exercise and weight.
The assessment includes the newest, noninvasive diagnostic tests. The tests are safe, comfortable and free of radiation. Most tests results are available immediately. A cardiologist will provide a full report and recommendations for a complete, personalized prevention plan.
- Resting blood pressure
- Retinal-eye blood vessel analysis
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Measurement of large and small artery elasticity
- Ultrasound of the heart (left ventricle)
- Ultrasound of the carotid (neck) artery thickness
- Walking treadmill exercise test
- Testing of blood and urine:
- Cholesterol panel
- C-reactive protein (CRP)
Follow up after the assessment
These three results are most common after an assessment.
- More than one-third of patients are free of early vascular or cardiac abnormalities. They are encouraged to return in five years for re-evaluation.
- One-third of patients show signs of possible early disease. We recommend lifestyle changes and follow up.
- The rest of patients have early signs of advanced disease. We recommend medicine to slow or halt its progression. We often ask them to return for retesting in one year.
Regardless of the treatment, communication of the plan to you and your healthcare provider is important. Since you are in charge of your health from day to day, we will provide you a clear, understandable plan and empower you to live a healthy lifestyle.
If you’d like to know more about the Rasmussen Center or would like an insurance guide, please contact Natalia Florea at firstname.lastname@example.org.